History of Troy, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
|Troy lies in the northern part of Waldo County, adjoining Somerset and Penobscot counties on the north, and the latter on the east. Burnharn bounds it on the west, and Thorndike and Jackson on the south. The area is 20,052 acres. Unity or Twenty-live Mile Pond forms a part of the western boundary. In the northern part is Carlton’s Bog, having an area of 1,000 acres, and drained by a stream of the same name. On this stream were formerly several mills which manufactured large quantities of lumber. In the southern part of the town is Bog Stream, which also has mill privileges; both this and the former emptying into Unity Pond. A mill on Martin’s Stream, in the southeastern part of the town, formerly manufactured some lumber. The manufactures now consists of furniture and carriages, there being five manufacturers of the last.
The surface of the town is for the most part uneven, rising into large swells with table lands and valleys, all of which are very fertile. The inhabitants are generally and quite successfully engaged in agriculture. The centres of business are Troy village, Center, and West and East Troy,- which are also post-offices. The town is 22 miles north-west of Belfast. The nearest railroad stations are in Burnharn and Detroit.
The first clearing in this town was made about the year 1801, by John Rogers, who was also agent for the proprietor, General Bridge, of Chelmsford, Mass. The first mill in the township was built by the latter. The ownership soon after passed to Benjamin Joy and Jonathan C. Hastings, of Boston. The earliest settlers were Henry Warren, Charles Gerrish, jr., Enoch Bagley, Enoch Bagley, jr., Jonathan Bagley, Christopher Varney, John Smart, Andrew Bennett, John Rogers, James Work, Nehemiah Fletcher, Hanson Whitehouse, Francis, Charles and Thomas Hollman, and Joseph Green, who came from different parts of Maine, and settled here from 1801 to 1813. At the first organization of the settlement into a plantation it received the name of Bridgestown, in honor of the first proprietor. It was incorporated as a town Feb. 22, 1812, under the name of Kingsville, in honor of the first Governor of Maine. Since then it has borne the names of Joy, Montgomery, and finally Troy. The last change was made February 10, 1827.
The religious societies are the Methodists and Christian. There are eleven public schoolhouses; and the school property is valued at $3,000. The population in 1870 was 1,201. In 1880 it was 1,059. The valuation in 1870 was $233,361. In 1880 it was $263,939.
Thank you for sharing this Norma Rossel.